Why do REAL fans wear pink?


So here' s the deal. The NFL has decided that in order to reach out to it's growing female fan base, it should flood the market with what might best
be described as Lipstick Lesbian Barbie's Dream Closet. We're talking pink jerseys, hats, and t-shirts...halter tops, belly shirts, tube tops, and yes, even team logo daisy dukes. (I'll admit it, I own a pair.)
This new parade of pink on nflshop.com seemed to leave fans of all teams and genders seeing RED. Articles and blogs started popping up about this new "unpretty in pink" merchandise scheme. After all, these are "Manly man sports." "We men. We eat meat. We make fire. We wear black. NO PINK!"

Men weren't the only ones blue in the face with the NFL's sudden passion for pink. Female sports fans got in on the act too. One blogger called "Metsgrrl" says:
"The pink hat exists for one reason, and one reason only: So that the girls who
get dragged to the game by their boyfriends have something to wear...The pink is
weak, the pink is boring, the pink is not reflective of most women who sit in
the baseball park."
OUCH! (FYI, this guy's "grrl" has an ad for Alyssa Milano Mets Jeans on her page and a merchandising section that offers "Mets Grrl" baby tees, but I digress...)
I tell you what. To prove that we're just one of the guys, why don't all us female fans stop shaving our legs too. And maybe we can start stuffing our pants to you know, create a bulge. And ooh...how bout we spit, scratch ourselves, glue on some sideburns and start staring at the cheerleaders boobs. Maybe then we'll be accepted as true sports fans.

Or here's another approach. Why don't we let fans (male, female, or the Richard Simmons variety) wear whatever the hell they want to wear to a game. If men can spray paint their often flabby/hairy bodies to show their team spirit, why can't us gals get peppy in pink? Sure it's a ploy by the NFL to lure women to buy more paraphenalia, but these days, what isn't a ploy by one sports organization or the next? And yes, many of these pink clad fans are just groupies trying to get attention or have absolutely no idea what's happening in the game. But do you really think they're the only ones? Hardly; They've just got a sassier fashion sense.

Bottomline: I'm proud to be pink. You don't have to be butch to be a real fan. I cheer loud and hard, I stay all four quarters, I tailgate, I pray during the nailbiters, I yell at the referees, I mouth off to opposing fans, I drink my beer, I party win or lose (although it takes on more of a "drowning my sorrows" vibe when we lose) and I want nothing more than to see my team on to victory. I'm not a real fan in spite of the fact that I wear pink. I'm a real fan BECAUSE of it. Because I don't care if the boys don't believe I know the game. I'm not there to impress fellow fans. I'm there to root on my team (and I just so happen to look absolutely adorable while doing it.) So if my PINK makes you want to puke or beat me BLACK and BLUE, perhaps it's merely because you're all GREEN with envy. Take that you pink hating poo poo heads...(my nephew gave me that insult.)
And in case you were wondering, the daisy dukes only see the light of day when I 'm cleaning the house. I'm fashionable, not a total hooch!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you misread.
1) I'm a woman. I don't belong to any 'guy', I have a boyfriend, but I'm not a "guy's 'grrl'.
2) If you'd like to understand where 'grrl' came from, it comes from the Riot Grrl movement in the Northwest. There's a link in my FAQ.
3) I think the Alyssa Milano jeans are cool. She also offers them up to a size 16. I think the rest of her stuff is bs, and not something any woman who doesn't take a limo to the game and sit in the box seats can wear to the ball park. I wrote several articles about it (including a long comment to the MLB shill who showed up on my blog trying to get me to join the party line about her stuff).
4) I do not offer 'baby tees'. I offer t-shirts in many different sizes, including the ones labelled 'real women size'. Some women can wear and like the tiny tees. Some women don't want to show their navels in public. I offer a CHOICE.

You spent under 15 minutes on my blog (I can see from the server logs because you googled 'real women wear pink' and came in that way). You didn't bother to do anything except take things out of context to bolster your argument. You failed to notice all the comments of support from women, who want the same thing I do : CHOICE. I don't want to ONLY be offered a PINK hat as the only women's hat. I don't want to be ONLY offered a tiny, child-sized PINK sweatshirt as the only choice.

There is nothing in my blog that talks about women defeminizing themselves. If anyone here is anti-woman, it's you. Not me.

And if you're going to call me a butch, do so in person. I have a word for you that starts with B, but I won't use it.

Chick in the Huddle said...

1) Touchy Touchy!
2) I misread nothing. In fact, in your sensitivity, you appear to be the on who's got the misunderstanding. The whole point is, female fans should get to wear whatever they want without being labeled something because of it. Guys certainly aren't getting critiqued on their fashion choices at a game so why should we? Whether it's Alyssa Milano jeans (which were actually cute) or an explosion of pink from head to toe.
3) At least one of the styles on your blog would most certainly classify as a baby tee. I never stated it was all you offered, I stated it was among the choices. Point is, some people might think feminine looking t-shirts have no place in sports and that we should all wear big, bulky jerseys. But you wanted to offer something that would appeal to the more feminine sports fan (much like the NFL does.) Thus, making your blog post somewhat ironic. Not everything targetted to female fans looks like it's meant for a stripper or groupie.
4)I spent less than 15 minutes on your page because I could personally care less about the Mets. I read the comments from other women and noted in my blog that many women are behind the "anti-pink" movement. You specifically posted on this topic so why wouldn't I include a quote? (duh)
5)I'm quite certain I never referred to you as a butch but if the flannel shirt fits....
6)Ooh, calling me the "B" word! What an eloquent way to wrap up an argument! Maybe I'll pull your bra-strap step when I see you between study halls just to keep the immaturity level on par.
7) Thanks for checking out the site!